Wednesday 4 December 2013

Review Wednesday – Catching Fire

In January I reviewed The Hunger Games.  And now, to close the year, I'm reviewing Catching Fire.




Katniss and Peeta are back in District 12 after their unorthodox victory in the 74th Hunger Games.  They now live in the Victors' village making it impossible for them to pick up their lives where they left them. While Katniss tries to make sense of her feelings for Peeta and Gale, she will have to face an entire new challenge to protect the ones she loves and her district from the Capitol.  In the growing threat of the Quarter Quell, will she be able to triumph?

What worried me the most about Catching Fire was that the love triangle would take over everything and destroy the amazing world and story Collins had created in The Hunger Games.  Luckily, unlike Clare in Clockwork Prince, she managed to keep a perfect balance between the plot and the love story.  Within the context of the novel, the protagonists' reactions and emotions are believable and in character.  I rooted for Gale after the first book, but now, I'm definitely all for Peeta!

The main story itself is amazing.  Collins build nicely on her previous novel, and we realize that elements that seemed like unimportant details – the fact that the last games were the 74th, for example – have tremendous importance for the plot and how events will unfold.  With all the twists and turns, I was shocked and surprised countless times, which is something I like in a book.  The cliff-hanger at the end is so powerful that as soon as I closed the book, I went out and bought the next one.  I can't wait to read it!

I haven't seen the movie yet, as I wanted to read the book first, but I'm very excited about it now!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis